Build a Word!
Here's a fun way to work on early reading and word building skills if your child is at this stage in their literacy skills
This idea comes directly from my Literacy Invitations to Play Cards which you can find here in my online store!
- Duplo, Megablocks or wooden block
- dry wipe marker
- small toys or objects
- choose some simple 3 or 4 letter words that are at the right level for your child's stage of reading development
- write letters onto individual blocks
- write complete words onto longer blocks
- find objects to represent each word eg small cat toy for 'cat'
- mix up the blocks ready to play
- set out the base blocks which have the whole words written on
- ask your child to take one
- now find the corresponding letter blocks and build that word
- point at each letter to sound it out, then blend it to read the word
- finally, look for the toy or object that matches the word!
- repeat with other words
If you haven't taken a look at my Invitations to Play Activity Cards, come and take a look!
There are two themes - sensory and literacy - and both have 52 different fun activities in each for you to do at home :)